Tuesday, 2 September 2008

Ramadan 1429



Alhamdullilah, Ramadan datang lagi.This is our second year fasting in Riyadh. Although Ramadan here is not as "meriah" as in Msia, I'm glad that this year we could join our friends to do our terawih prayers. The plan is to rotate the terawih prayers within our homes and off course the children and orang bujang luv the moreh (sajian kuih muih and drinks)after that! Terasa jugak la macam kat msia...

Some facts on Ramadan here are:

1. Off course takde bazar ramadan dengan jualan kuih muih and lauk pauk berbagai variasi.

2. Tho the roads are light up with lamps etc, kat shopping malls takde la promotion besaran besaran jualan Ramadan or Raya. (Shopping malls and shops here don't play any music in their stores- so no humming lagu raya masa shopping!)

3. Terawih prayers in the mosque are attended mostly by men only. Not many ladies goes for terawih prayers here. Also there are very few mosques that accommodate ladies during the Ramadan month.

4. Terawih prayers here are normally done in 8 rakaat and without bacaan selawat.

5. Office hours are reduced to 6 hours. They start at 10am and by 3pm-4pm its over! Most arabs don't turn up after zohor!

6. Last but not least, no big promotions on Buka Puasa buffet! (that Im thankful coz I feel back home, the buffet is over promoted and overly priced!)

This year is it also an advantage for the kids as they are still on their summer holidays. I'm glad coz its not that tiring for them compared to last year. In fact they are having a blast I think! They stayed up till Sahur time, sleep after Subuh 4.15am) and wake up at 1pm-2pm. By 6.15pm, it's already buka puasa time! Syafiq and Nadia said they feel fresh during these two days of fasting and they wonder why!

As for me, the start of Ramadan, makes me think so much of my late mom. This is our first Ramadan without her. Still feeling the big chunk of emptiness whenever I realised she is not around anymore. I still remember dulu boleh jugak call tanya mak masak apa hari ni or asked her for recipes....sigh..I really miss her so much....

Apart from that, I can foresee that I'll be craking my brain on what to cook and kuih apa nak buat on daily basis :-)
Please note that the kuih are only during my rajin mood days!

Till then, Wishing all muslims a blessed Ramadan and dun eat too much during your buka puasa time ;-)

4 comments:

elisataufik said...

ingat2lah dia sewaktu baca qur'an, Insya-Allah her ruh tenang.

eee best nya ada ramai member melayu.. boleh buat moreh segala!
I masak sorang-sorang aje.. takde gang nak tukar2 kuih.

harini dah tak ada idea nak masak apa :P

Swahili said...

Yes I second Elisa, doa for her.

Wei...sini ada buffet iftar (puasa) lah, I tengah ronda2 town cari harga yang tak buat Sang Suami bankrupt, hahaha

As for jual kuih ramadan pun ada. Its usually within a restaurant itself...thats an alternative for you to pop by and beli je...tak payah nak pikir what to bake, tee hee

Salam Ramadan

Nurie said...

Thks both of you!!

U can buy kuih in Riyadh? Hmm, tis is something new. Post it in facebook msian in Saudo grp la :-)

Juz tat during ramadan ni, mulut rasa nak makan kuih tradional pulak! But the rest of me is so malass...

Elisa, mai la puasa kat sini for the weekend! Bole makan moreh! heh..heh....

Fadhil Isma said...

Salam Noor,

Lama dah jenguk ke sini. Surprisingly, agak sibuk sikit this first week of ramadhan.

Sorry to read about missing your mom this year. Doakan lah dia selalu.

Is your father still around? If he is, then jgn lupa juga untuk call dia sekali sekala. I guess he would be missing your mom very much too.

Agree with you on point no. 6. Buka puasa buffet in Malaysia is over-rated (not to mention overpriced!)

So, how much weight have you lost till now? ;-)

 
Designed by Lena