Monday, 7 May 2007

Riyadh

The name Riyadh is derived from the Arabic word meaning a place of gardens and trees ('rawdah'). Today the city extends for some 600 square miles (1600 square kilometers) and has a population of more than 4.7 million. Riyadh is Saudi Arabia's educational, administrative, and financial center. Its architecture formerly represented the classic Arabic style, but in the oil boom of recent decades many buildings were torn down and replaced by large modern structures.


It's almost 1 month since we landed in Riyadh (mcm alien je!)...I felt like we have lived here for 6 months!

So far all of us are adapting well, maybe a little bit too well I guess. The kids have not started school since they came here so they are VERY the hepi with their ps2, game boy and cartoons. For me, I have been a lazy bum, sleeping late, waking up late..its embarassing actually! Kept telling myself (to make me feel better) things will change once the kids start school coz they have to be at school by 7.30am. Here sun rises early in the morning i.e at 3.47am. So by 7am its like 10am in Msia with the sun shining bright!

We live in a 2 bedroom apt in Olaya Street, one of the main street in Riyadh. It's quite spacious in fact bigger that our 3 bedroom Aprt in KL. It's 7 storey high and there are like 4 msian families here and 2 rumah bujangs. So our kids have geng to play with and I get to exchange dishes with my jirans. Frankly its more like Im the receiver n they are the giver - apom balik, choc cake, paprik ayam..gosh!! I do have to sharpen my cooking skills and I gotta buy an oven to catch up with them!

Living in olaya street is like staying at bukit bintang area or KLCC (ceh wahh, perasan!) Shopping malls and shops, boutiques are all within walking distance. At the Groundfloor of our Apt, there's a designer boutique and some other shops. I seriously think hubby is glad that I couldnt go out on my own....if not I wont be at home to cook!

This is Al Faisaliah Tower. Its just like 5 mins from our apt. The shopping mall really reminds me of KLCC. It's also a hotel. The Al Faisaliah Tower is a 60-story building and has a restaurant encapsulated in the golden geodesic orb that tops the Tower. Cool huh! At night the building is lit up with yellow lights that makes it shines. Despite it being very near we went there only once as mostly the shops are boutiques and designer outlets which nak masuk pun rasa uncomfortable!



But the kids luv it coz it has a toy town which is like a small amusement park. I do like the food court and again it kinda reminds me of the KLCC food court :-)

Now this is Kingdom Tower. U can also see how Riyadh city centre looks like. Boleh tahan huh?
KT is the tallest building in Riyadh. At night the u shape thingy changes colors..its beautiful and majestic. Hubby said it reminds him of the Tower (cant remember the name!) in the movie, Lord of The Rings. I think so too!

The tower's unique shape culminates in a triangular opening spanned by a 56 meter skybridge with a public observation deck. Occupants include a five-star hotel, a major bank headquarters, a sports club, a wedding and conference center, and a luxury condominium and apartment complex. We have not been there yet , will write more once we have visited it! ..and the top part of the KT is a fine dining restaurant. I heard it's like a few hundred bucks! There's a 3 level shopping centre and also an exclusive ladies floor where u can park your arbaya and walk in yr normal clothes! Cant wait to explore it!
The tower is host to the highest mosque in world.[1]
The Kingdom Centre is owned by Alwaleed bin Talal bin Abdulaziz Al Saud, a prince of the Saudi royal family. The total cost of the project was 1.717 billion Saudi Arabian Riyals .The large opening is illuminated at night in continuously changing colors.
Besides the
shopping mall, the Centre includes a Four Seasons Hotel and state-of-the-art apartments. It is possible to go up to the 'skybridge' where there are view of the whole city of Riyadh.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I find the concept of the shopping mall at KT very interesting. But before you get there and remove your arbaya, make sure you upgrade your wardrobe. I heard ladies there are very 'branded' from top to toe. And dont forget the colored lenses and eyeliner!

 
Designed by Lena