For example, I have this so call new friend introduced to me. Her eldest daughter is the same age as my eldest and her sons ages lebih kurang mine. She kept calling me kak Noor (what the ....!)
It send shivers thru my spine coz she is just like 2 years younger than me ( I checked her profile in facebook!) Secretly I think she look older than me as well! (ha!ha!ha!) Then I noticed she calls almost everyone 'kak'. Ggrrr..

Among friends, it is seldom that I addressed myself as kakak. I always used the word "I" even tho they may call me kak noor out of respect. I guess its becoz of my family upbringing where among my siblings we dont call each other abang or kakak. My eldest brothers are 5 and 4 years older than me and I call them by name. I dunno why, maybe becoz my late dad is a pakistani and we spoke english most of the time at home. So it doesnt sound so rude when I call my brothers by their name when its in english.
We also used "I" when we addressed ourselves to my late parents or aunties. So to call someone kakak or abang sounds a bit too intimate for me. Off course I dun call hubby abang! hah!
Back to my story, it doesn't bother me if someone who is like 10 years or 5 years younger wants to call me kakak but just 2-3 years difference? huh....common, must be ada udang disebalik mee!
Im very careful before I call anyone kakak. Those who automatically addressed themselves as kak Ani or kak Shima, then I know its okay to call them kakak. Usually I'll ask them, nak panggil apa ye... while grinning sheepishly.
Oh well, Im just glad that til today no one called me makcik yet!... and I hope that day will only comes when I become a grandmother!


8 comments:
Hello Kak.....OOPs! Sorry...Makcik.....Ala salah lagi, ha ha ha....
Hi Nurie, love your this posting. I agree with you. But I guess maybe there are people being taught by their parents to have manners when with friends or relatives.
Tapa la...just tell her, like now I'm telling, hey Nurie, I'd love it if you would just address me as 'Lee'.
Yes Nurie, call me 'Lee'.....'uncle' is for those no gold band on finger or still below 23, ha ha.
So, how's life in the new condo? Hope everything running smoothly.
Have fun and keep well, Nurie.....best regards, Lee.
Nurie: Methinks that being called "Kak" is a million miles better than being called "Aunty" *mega cringe* Normally when ppl asked me how I wished to be addressed, I cheekily tell them that "Mem" sounds brillant *LOL*
Selamat berpuasa to you and family.
Hi LEE!!
(makes you feel 20 years younger huh! heheheh...!)
Thanks for the tips! Will make use of them next time she call me kakak again.
Happy to celebrate puasa this year in our new home :-)
Hello MEM! *grin*
You are right, aunty = makcik, heh heh heh...
Only my nephew, nieces and kids' friend can call me that!
Thanks for the greetings. This year puasa is a bit longer as its summer time, huhuhu....
Noor,
I am willing to bet that you will remember the first time someone calls you Makcik... and then you'll probably blog about it, hehehe..
When I was in boarding school, I notice that all the junior girls call the senior girls `kakak', even when the difference in age is just one year. Us boys don't do that. And today, when we meet up for gatherings or reunions, the `kakak' term still continues to be used.
Selamat berpuasa to you and your family over there in Saudi.
Salam oldstock!
Thats very true...it was so difficult for me to call my seniors abang and kakak when I masuk MRSM masa form 4...esp. the abang seniors lah! Rasa so segan!
But in a way it does makes you feel like siblings over time :-)
In my homeroom, they call me "along" coz I have the earliest birthday. It was so weird for me at first! Till now my homeroom mates whom i met in FB still call me Along and somehow it becomes a a special bond.
I love this post!!!
I hardly call people kakak and I found it disturbing when someone you dont know calls you up via phone and the word 'kak' comes out. And I was like 'do you know how old I am that you call me kakak?'... (perhaps its the sign of age denial) haha
And oldstock is right. Men do not practice this 'kakak & abang' thingy. Which is cool!!
Owh btw, I was bloghopping and I found yours is very interesting :)
Hi Dottie :D
Thks for dropping by.
Age denial...heh heh..heh..maybe thats one of the reason why I wrote this post!
Post a Comment