Actually I do enjoy cooking juz that in KL, I had no time to cook (yea rite...!!) and when U have a maid, I guess u take things for granted. During the weekends, there were alwiz more exciting things to do rather than sweating yourself in the kitchen eg going out with frens, window shopping, sleeping, tengok TV etc etc…. 1001 excuses!
Another thing why I dun mind being in the kitchen now is that here U dun sweat, despite the weather coz humidity is high and the house is air conditioned. So tak le muka berminyak minyak lepas masak!
My kitchen tales may sound like a tale from a 12 years old but for me it’s an achievement!

I baked my first cake.
Since my Sain rumah tangga school days (dedicated to my cooking partner then, Yati!) I never baked a cake! I luv baking cookies during raya time but never a cake. Never had the confidence. So, last few weeks I baked the most basic cake in the world – Basic Butter Cake. It was easy enuff that I think even nadia could do it! The kids had a great time ‘helping” out in the kitchen, especially licking the creamed butter and sugar. (I wonder why all kids like to do that!) Happy to report that it turned out not only edible but yummy too. I was beaming the whole day.

Rice crispies
Kids bought the cereal and they decided they dun like it. So instead of throwing it away, I made rice crispies cups based on the recipe at the back of the box (I think it was meant for the kids to make it!!) It was a hit with the family and neighbour!
Chicken fajitas
(I like to think it tastes kinda like the Chillies fajitas we luv sooo much!!)
This comes out from no where. As most of the time we eat chicken, I wanted to create a new dish, so I threw some spices, oyster sauce, button mushrooms (luv them!) and capsicum and wallah! The dish reminds me of the chicken fajitas in Chillies- minus the cheese and hot plate. The picture does not do justice to the taste so plz ignore the picture!heh..heh….
Kastad Jagung
I read in the recipes/forums that this is the easiest dish someone can make. However the first time I tried to do it, it was a real DISASTER! I never made custard pudding before so I didn’t know that u have to keep on stirring it till it becomes thick! So I keep on adding the custard flour thinking the recipe must be wrong. Heh..heh..it went to the waste bin after a few hrs.
I didn’t give up…recently I tried it again- based on the simplest recipe on kastad jagung via the net. Finally jadik!!....and yes it was so easy to do and it only took like 15-20 mins!
Moist chocolate cake
After the success of the butter cake I had high hopes when I decided to try out the Moist choc cake recipe. But sadly the cake didn’t turn out the way I imagined it to be, instead it was dry and flaky!! Again it was fed to the waste bin. Will try again next time! *malu*![]()
Yep..I dun believed it either but I tried to cook apam balik last couple of days! (missing the food at pasar malam!) As u can already guess, of course the recipe was a simple one. My neighbors, dah buat and its yummy. Well, my kuih nak kata jadi, jadi la jugak but it can taste better and should look better! Maybe I didn’t follow the recipes correctly as being me, my hand is so gatal to tambah this and that!
Having visited more than a few forums on recipes and having to see those dishes others bring on makan makan events, really makes me feel inadequate la! Like the last makan makan we went, someone made mini donuts with colorful icing and top them up with sprinkles that make dunkin donut looks plain! I dunno when will I reach that level but hope to do so one day at my own phase.....
So far, on the daily dishes I’m doing quite well, paprik ayam and daging masak merah (masakan siam) is a big hit with hubby! Reminds us of the good ol times makan at the gerai….!



5 comments:
whenever you feel inadequate in the kitchen...think of me!!!! & i'm pretty sure u'll feel like jamie oliver!! hehe...
i baked my first cake here too. Sebelum ni I never owned an oven, so tak tergerak pun nak buat cake. Dah dapat oven ni, hantam aje apa2 recipe yang jumpa.. :)
Eh try the betty crocker cake mixes! senang gillerrrrr
First off all, Elisa yr photo is awesome!!!
Hey, I juz bought Betty crocker cake mixes a couple of days ago. Lets see how it goes!
Thanks for the emphaty partner! ;-)
ha ha! I took this picture the first summer I was here. I bought the niqab sebab it was too too too hot outside! tapi when winter came, the niqab stayed in the drawer... :D
Post a Comment