Saturday, 17 April 2010

Stamps


The other day I was revising social studies with my youngest son Haekal who is in grade 1. The subject was about post office. I asked him to spell “stamp” and he said “s t e m” . I said no...and he said ye lah dalam science kan spell macam tu..stem yg kat pokok tu...Gosh, I don’t know whether to laugh or be alarmed.
I then proceed to explain to him about letters and stamps. Im not so sure if he totally gets it. It makes me wonder then if all these babies born year 2000 onwards will know what letter and stamps are. In this world of emails and chats online, why would they need letters anyway? You can also apply online for college, universities and for jobs.

At least a few years back, (make it like 5 years back actually!) I still received Raya cards once a year via the mail. But of late, I did not receive any ‘real’ raya cards anymore, just the raya greetings e cards ones on lines. Nowadays the only letters I received at homes are banks statements and those junk mails, without real stamps!

I still remember masa kecik kecik dulu, the joy of waiting for mr. postman...to hear that ring ring on the bicycle and later to hear the roar of the motorcycle of mr postman. Checking our red mail box for my letters. Ahh....those good ol days!
I used to have a few pen pals from the Big blue marble show ; ingat tak cerita tu? I had pen pals from US, Norway and the Philippines. They are really friendly and luv to write beautiful letters to me using fancy writing pads and colourful envelopes. It was such a great delight whenever I received their letters.

Talking about writing pads, I have not seen writing pads in stationeries shops anymore esp.in Saudi. Teringat dulu dulu, I love to go browsing at the writing pad and envelopes section. I do have a collection of writing pads and envelopes. Ada yang bunga bunga, cartoons and mushy mushy ones. Some even comes with perfume! (handy during courting time!)

Once the letters were written, I will have to ask my mom to drop me by the post office to weight the letters which are going to overseas. Aerogramme comes handy to when you want to reply fast and cheap way. During my time it was like less than RM0.80 kut per aerogramme.

During raya paling busy.....shopping for raya cards is just a thrilling experience. Im the most rajin one in my house to send raya cards to almost all my aunties, cousins and friends. I will also have stamps readily available at home. It was a great joy bila dapat guna stamp cantik aka commorative stamps compared to those normal hibiscus stamps. During that time to post raya cards was only 0.20cents!
It has been ages since I myself went to the post office. I don’t even know any of my family’s or friend’s house address if I want to send them anything via post. I only have their email address!

I also wonder if kids nowadays list down collecting stamps as one of their hobbies. During my time, almost all of us were collecting stamps! Each one of us will proudly display our stamp albums and exchange stamps with each other. Is collecting stamps a dying hobby or it is only for the old now...

Perhaps the next time I go back to Malaysia, I should bring my kids to the post office!

1 comment:

Lollies said...

have you tried posting raya cards from saudi? i tried doing it from qtar. and it costed me QR5 for each card. Errkk amatlah mahalnya. give up.

 
Designed by Lena